Welcome to Episode 165 of Autism Parenting Secrets.
This episode focuses on the benefits of natural movement from minimalist shoes.
It’s useful for everyone, but kids on the spectrum seem to benefit even more.
Our guest is Steven Sashen, Co-Founder and CEO of Xero Shoes.
Steven shares the many ways minimalist footwear helps.
It’s a huge opportunity to establish a stronger foundation where the body is more aligned and regulated.
Resulting in more calm, less stress, and better brain function.
This discussion dives deep into the how and why.
The secret this week is…
Go For NATURAL Movement, Feet First
- Bad Forms Hurts, Good Form Feels Good (5:18)
- Why Natural Movement IS So Important (8:16)
- Cushioning Feels Good But Makes You Weak (11:40)
- Why A Wide Toe Box Is Essential (17:07)
- Injury Rates With Modern Shoes Are Higher Than You Think (21:28)
- Design Differences That Promote Natural Movement (26:57)
- The Reasons Why ASD Kids Feel Better In Minimalist Footwear (30:05)
- A Novel Theory On What Might Be Behind Stims (37:35)
- Cues for Natural Movement (42:20)
- The World’s Fastest Walking Lesson (43:14)
- What The Research Studies Say (50:12)
- How To Transition Safely To Minimalist Shoes (56:00)
- Where To Find True Minimalist Footwear (1:08:29)
About Our Guest:
As Co-Founder and CEO, Steven Sashen is the visionary and marketer of Xero Shoes. Steven got back into sprinting after a 30-year break, at 45, and suffered repeated injuries over the next 2 years. When he ditched the shoes and started running barefoot, his gait changed, his injuries disappeared, and he became a Masters All-American Sprinter – one of the fastest men his age in the US (now 60+). After fashioning his own huarache-style sandals, he started getting compliments from people around town. A natural entrepreneur, Steven and his wife, Lena Phoenix, launched Xero Shoes in 2009. They bootstrapped the business from home, and since then, Xero Shoes has grown to a multi-million dollar company with more than 38 shoes, boots, and sandals. The co-founders appeared on Shark Tank in 2013 and turned down a $400K investment, and Xero Shoes has been listed on the Inc. 5000 for six consecutive years.
References in The Episode:
- The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science by Norman Doidge
- Anat Baniel Method
- Chi Running
- Born To Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall
- Born to Run 2: The Ultimate Training Guide by Christopher MacDougall & Eric Orton
- Shark Tank Episode with Xero Shoes
- Take The Quiz: What’s YOUR Top Autism Parenting Blindspot?
- To learn more about Cass & Len, visit us at www.autismparentingsecrets.com
- Be sure to follow Cass & Len on Instagram
If you enjoyed this episode, share it with your friends.