Welcome to Episode 158 of Autism Parenting Secrets.
This episode focuses on getting the most from the TEAM of people around you.
Our guest this week is Jan Stewart, she’s the mother of two children and a highly regarded mental health and neurodiversity advocate.
She’s the author of Hold on Tight: A Parent’s Journey Raising Children with Mental Illness.
She shares our mission to inspire and empower parents.
All parents leverage the expertise and skills of others to help their child thrive.
We’re talking about doctors, practitioners, therapists, educators, family & friends.
There’s no shortage of help if you’re willing to ask.
But it’s up to you, the parent, to assemble and manage that team.
You’re In Charge.
Make sure the team dynamics work FOR your child.
The secret this week is …
Go For INTEGRATED Partnership
- The Most Important Thing To Demand Of Your Team (8:15)
- The Approach That Works The Best (10:30)
- Why Your Team Must Be On The Same Page, Especially At School (15:55)
- What To Consider As Your Child Pursues Employment (18:55)
- How To Move With Your Partner/Spouse (30:14)
- What To Do With Unsupportive Family & Friends (35:44)
- A Powerful Approach to Take (38:51)
About Our Guest:
Jan Stewart is a highly regarded mental health and neurodiversity advocate, author, and recipient of the prestigious Mom’s Choice Award®. Her best-selling memoir Hold on Tight: A Parent’s Journey Raising Children with Mental Illness describes her emotional roller coaster story parenting two children with multiple mental health and neurodevelopmental disorders. Her mission is to inspire and empower parents to persevere, have hope, and know they are not alone, as well as to better educate their families, friends, healthcare professionals, educators, and employers. Jan chairs the Board of Directors at Kerry’s Place Autism Services, Canada’s largest autism services provider, is a Today’s Parent columnist on autism, and was previously Vice Chair at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. She spent most of her career as a senior Partner with the global executive search firm Egon Zehnder. Jan is a Diamond Life Master in bridge and enjoys fitness, genealogy, and dance.
References in The Episode:
- Take The Quiz: What’s YOUR Top Autism Parenting Blindspot?
- To learn more about Cass & Len, visit us at www.autismparentingsecrets.com
- Be sure to follow Cass & Len on Instagram
If you enjoyed this episode, share it with your friends.