Meet Your Child’s Sensory Needs First
Welcome to Episode 93 of the Autism Parenting Secrets.
We’re honored to have Carol Stock Kranowitz as our guest this week. She’s the author of The Out of Sync Child initially published in 1998.
It’s THE sensory guidebook for parents on how to understand and help their child with sensory challenges.
This is an important topic and there’s much to talk about. This is Part 1 of our discussion and Part 2 will be released in a few weeks.
This episode focuses on sensory processing integration. Virtually every child and adult on the spectrum has unmet sensory needs.
Addressing those needs is a HUGE opportunity for parents.
The secret this week is… Meet Your Child’s Sensory Needs First
- What is Sensory Processing (3:58)
- The 3 Senses You DON’T Know (8:55)
- What Creates A Traffic Jam in the Brain (19:43)
- The Vital Role Our Sensory System Plays (25:44)
- The Only Activities That Use All Eight Senses At The Same Time (27:07)
- The ONE Thing That’s Needed For Your Child To Learn Anything (29:04)
- Why Recess Should Never Be Denied (31:23)
- The Three Types of Sensory Kids (33:34)
- A BIG Mistake All Parents Make (39:37)
- The Optimal Physical Position (44:17)
- Why You Need a Pair of SENSORY SPECTACLES (49:33)
- The Power of Mini-Moves (55:34)
About Our Guest:
While teaching preschoolers for 25 years, Carol Stock Kranowitz became interested in children who respond to ordinary sensations in different ways. Some are over-responsive and avoid sensations; others don’t notice sensations or crave sensations. Some children are clumsy, tripping on air. Many children with these characteristics have autism; most are anxious and have low self-esteem. Curious, Carol studied sensory integration and processing and then set out to introduce Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) to parents and educators around the world. The first book in her “Sync” series is The Out-of-Sync Child, which has been translated into many languages including Spanish (El Niño Desincronizado), has sold one million copies and is now in its 3rd edition. With Joye Newman, Carol has developed the In-Sync Child method through a 10-part webinar series and their award-winning publications, Growing an In-Sync Child, the In-Sync Child Activity Cards, and A Year of Mini-Moves for the In-Sync Child. Carol graduated from Barnard College of Columbia University and earned her M.A. in Education and Human Development, focusing on special education, from The George Washington University. She lives in Bethesda, Maryland, and has five grandchildren.
References in This Episode:
- The Out-of-Sync Child, Third Edition: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Differences (The Out-of-Sync Child Series)
- Autism Parenting Secrets Episode 22 – You CAN Protect Your Child from EMFs with Peter Sullivan
- Autism Parenting Secrets Episode 50 – Posture Unlocks Your Power with Brian Bradley
- Free Resource: 33 Mistakes Most Autism Parents Make and How To Avoid Them
- To learn more about Cass & Len’s All-In Warrior Parent Tribe, click here
- Got a Picky Eater? – this can help
- To learn more about Cass & Len, visit us at www.autismparentingsecrets.com
- Be sure to follow Cass & Len on Instagram
If you enjoyed this episode, share it with your friends.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts to get automatic episode updates for our “Autism Parenting Secrets!”
And, finally, please take a minute to leave us an honest review and rating on Apple Podcasts.
They really help us out when it comes to the ranking of the show and we read every single one of the reviews we get.
Thanks for listening!